The management strategy for the El Pilar Archaeological reserve for Maya Flora and Fauna has evolved over many years, through processes and collaboration between many stakeholders; government agencies, non-profit organizations, community members, and scientists, among others. In Guatemala, the Monumento Cultural El Pilar was declared as a protected area within the Reserva de la Biosfera Maya by Consejo Nacional de Areas Protegidas (CONAP), the government agency that oversees the Maya Biosphere Reserve and El Pilar. With both the governments of Belize and Guatemala recognizing El Pilar as two contiguous reserves protecting one cultural resource in two countries, the organizations supporting El Pilar have committed to a shared, long-term comprehensive adaptive management strategy.
- Belize El Pilar Site Registration
- Belize Statutory Instrument establishing the El Pilar Archaeological Reserve
- Guatemala certification of Reserva Arquaeologia El Pilar 1997
- Guatemala Resolution of Plan Maestro El Pilar 2004
- Belize Endorsement of the El Pilar Management Plan 2006